Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Some Early Observations

Before we get started -- my apologies for the lack of posts recently. Between the usual draft prep and a few other things, this blog has taken a back seat for a week or so.

But no more.

Let's just dive right into some observations from the first two days of the 2007 season...

* I was stunned that Daisuke Matsuzaka "only" went for $39 in my local, 12-team AL-only keeper league. This is a league with ridiculous inflation (Alex Rodriguez was a keeper at $65 for one owner) and I was shocked that the Dice-K hype didn't drive his price up into the high $40s.

* I know I've mentioned it before in this blog, but Daniel Cabrera is going to have a huge season for the Orioles this year. He looked absolutely unhittable at times on Tuesday night.

* Maybe it's just me, but I think Cardinals fans should be worried about the fact that Chris Carpenter is going to miss his next start with elbow inflammation. That rotation was shaky to begin with; the Cards could be in real trouble if their ace is gone for an extended period.

* Break up the Pirates...two wins -- on the road, no less. And with each loss, the Astros can feel Roger Clemens slipping away.

* Speaking of worried, I'm beyond worried that Jose Contreras might be finished. Not only did he get lit up like a Christmas tree on Monday, but Indians players were claiming that Contreras wasn't throwing nearly as hard as he did last year. Not good.

* How is it possible that there were NO games broadcast in hi-def on Tuesday as part of the MLB Extra Innings Superfan package? I realize there was a limited slate of games...but come on. Throw me a bone, here Directv. The season isn't even a week old and I'm already frustrated with the lack of hi-def availability.

* Speaking of which...if the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network (MASN) wants to be taken seriously, they'll need to get moving on hi-def capability. Let's see...Peter Angelos secured the rights to broadcast both the Nationals and Orioles games on his network...but that network is planning a grand total of ZERO hi-def broadcasts in 2007? I guess I should be thankful that Angelos gave the go-ahead to broadcast the games in color...

No comments: